Commercial Construction Projects: Need to involve a PMC early on in a Shopping Center Development
Every construction project is different and demands the full attention, professionalism and energy of its project team. We cant deny the fact thay Every construction project depends upon an experienced leader to make it happen.
It goes wthout saying that one needs a unique personalized consultancy service to help navigate the complexities of construction projects. Heres where the need to involve a professional PMC is utmost important.
Why the need for a PMC?
While the shopping center experience is far from over, it’s safe to say that shopping center developers and owners are working harder than ever to compete for foot traffic. With retail construction projects that approach the traditional shopping mall in an innovative way, shopping center developers may create an experience that keeps them competitive in the new age of on-line retail.
The increasing complexity of construction projects creates the need for design professionals trained in all phases of the project's life-cycle. Far from being a single activity, large scale construction is a feat of human multitasking. For the successful execution of a project, effective planning is essential.
A PMC works closely with clients to understand the project goals and objectives to ensure that the final result of the project is matched to the aspirations and business needs. In essence it seeks to ensure that projects are met by the following key drivers:
- Managed effectively to utilize available resource efficiently
- Completed on time
- Secured within cost
- Procured to the correct quality
The above key drivers demand a robust and defined management approach allied to a clear and effective communication style.
When it comes to best practices in shopping center development or mall construction, we at Masters would like to share some important tips.
- Establish relationships early in the design stage.This lets the PMC weigh in with estimated construction costs before plans are finalized and sent out for subcontractor bids. Miss this step and your architect could be sending out.
- Allow design and construction teams to interact early with jurisdictional authorities.
- Make sure you’re working with a PMC experienced in shopping center construction projects. This helps you to keep commercial construction costs down.
- Regular Communication: Keeping the channels of communication open is the key to remain calm. Weekly meetings with all retail contractors and shopping mall subcontractors throughout the mall’s construction cycle are a must so you can share construction schedules and delivery timelines. Collaborative working and excellent communication skills can provide projects with a greater degree of co-ordination and minimize programme overruns.
- Safety should be in place.onstruction is one of the most dangerous occupations in the world, incurring more occupational fatalities than any other sector. A PMC plays a very imporant role in the Safety aspect early on.
- Build around Green concepts and techniques. The green concepts and techniques can help preserve as much green space as possible while utilizing the latest in Green Building techniques such as porous concrete pavement, below–ground retention, a roof-top garden and more.
Though the above seem like common sense, but it’s rare for all of these best practices to be implemented on a project during the construction process. Follow the advice above and your next new-construction shopping center is sure to be the exception to the rule and not the norm.
We at Masters have been involved for various Retail Malls construction be it Project management, Design Services, Cost consultancy or Fit Outs. Some of our works are as unde
- Trilium Mall, Amritsar (Won "Shopping Centre of the Year" at Retail Excellance Awards Recently)
- Centenary Mall,Kolkata
- Rangoli Mall,Kolkata
- Acropolis ,Kolkata
- Diamond Plaza Mall,Kolkata
Masters is a leading Project Management company providing end-to-end solutions to the Construction Industry using the best of global standards and practices with primary focus on Real Estate sector.With a PAN India presence and a workforce of over 155 professionals from across various disciplines such as engineering, architecture, design and management, Masters abides by the core values of Honesty, Integrity and Transparency and aims to deliver world-class management consultancy and advisory services to its Clients.Masters has been involved in various capacities (as development advisor/ designer/ PMC/ cost manager/ programme & process reviewer etc.) for construction projects across asset classes, such as townships, residential developments, high-rise buildings, IT parks, hotels, shopping malls, commercial spaces and factories with a cumulative value of over INR 160 billion over 130 million sq. ft. area..